Re: script for compiling the kernel

Frank Butter (fbutter@ottomall.com.tw)
Mon, 05 Jul 1999 09:23:46 +0800 (CST)

On 03-Jul-99 Riley Williams wrote:
> > - make bzImage the default for 2.2.x and later, since it does
> > run most of the time and zImage shuold be considered the
> > unusual case.
>
> NO !!!
>
> As far as my Toshiba T2110 is concerned, kernels made with your
> favoured "make bzImage" will NOT boot! Period!
>
> When somebody manages to fix bzImage so it ALWAYS works, then one can
> consider making it the default, but not otherwise...

ok - no point to argue. just do something like asking for the default
parameters when starting the first time or place the values in variables
where everybody can find it, who knows how to handle "vi"....

> I would tend to be cautious about "I think" on something like that, as
> some configuration changes WILL result in faulty compiles if that
> "make clean" is omitted.

but this is a bug and should be solved - right? there is another point:
if you move from a UP-kernel to SMP (or vice versa) then a "make mrproper"
is necessary! so you have to save the .config somewhere, make mrproper,
execute something like make menuconfig (is there an non-interactive option
to go without this to process .config???) and start again...

frank

---