RE: (reiserfs) Re: I discussed reading directories as files with

Jeremy Fitzhardinge (jeremy@goop.org)
Sun, 04 Jul 1999 14:52:47 -0700 (PDT)

On 22-Jun-99 tytso@mit.edu wrote:

> Before we go running into a deep technical discussion about how to
> design different streams inside a file, we should first stop ask
> ourselves how they will be *used*.
>
> Something that folks should keep in mind is that as far as I have been
> able to determine, Microsoft isn't actually planning on using streams
> for anything.

Indeed. I get the impression that they added it to NTFS from the start because
it was the fashion of the time, and they didn't want to have a bullet-point
missing compared to OS/2 (Appletalk would have been secondary, I expect). I
suspect they're trying hard to avoid using streams altogether. Since NT5 is
using the Vertias filesystem, it may no longer have native support for streams
either.

The only really strongly useful implementation of the idea is in BeOS, where
you can index the attributes and do database-like searches on the filesystem
for files with particular attributes. This is actually surprisingly useful,
but considerably more complex than simply implementing multi-stream files.