Re: Are there kernel testing suites out there? We need them.

Ramana Juvvadi (juvvadi@savera.com)
01 Jul 1999 11:14:05 -0400

Miles Lane <miles@amazon.com> writes:

> One of the things Micro$oft does is stress test Windows NT after
> every build. To do this, they have a server that dishes out
> scripts that kick off a huge array of tests. The client machine
> has options to specify a wide range of testing parameters.
> The tests cover just about every aspect of the OS, including
> the system applications.

A testing suite assumes that the features we want from the kernel
are known in advance. The problem is that linux is constantly
changing. For the test suite to have any meaning, it has to
at least evolve as fast as linux. That is heck of a task.

If you have any ideas how to separate out ther rapidly changing
features of kernel from the slowly changing ones, you might
interest some people.

Ramana