Re: The stability crisis

Mark H. Wood (mwood@iupui.edu)
Sat, 3 Jul 1999 07:20:15 -0500 (EST)

On 2 Jul 1999, Henning P. Schmiedehausen wrote:
[snip]
> Actually I think, that sending the oops out over the network (as a
> compile option, of course) is a nice idea. Maybe I will toy with this
> sometime this weekend (don't hold your breath, though :-)

There's actually quite a lot of experience with this sort of thing
already. DECnet nodes have been upline-dumping over DNA Maintenance
Operation Protocol for decades. (Literally. I have a copy of DDCMP
Specification 4.0 dated 1978 which talks about MOP, and Stuart Wecker's
paper on what became DDCMP is dated 1974.) Even if you are now thinking,
"ewww, DECnet" it is worth studying. Alas my DNA documentation is for
Phase III so I don't have anything on how MOP is used over Ethernet.

We had racks of terminal servers, an InfoServer 150 and a WANrouter 250
that never had any trouble loading or dumping over the wire.

A Brazil-nut is neatly packaged and tightly integrated.  To turn it into
food, you must crack and remove the shell.  I find that I feel the same
way about an increasing number of software products.  *sigh*