Re: Synchronous board drivers

Krzysztof Halasa (khc@intrepid.pm.waw.pl)
03 Jul 1999 00:35:09 +0200

Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> writes:

> > async ports with protocols used with sync boards now. Of course, generic
> > HDLC would also provide a character-mode interface.
>
> (Character mode interface is too slow for some applications - a T3 in
> character mode is unfunny)

Sure, but one could use it for some reason. Anyway, HDLC interface
would be used for networking.

> That was basically the idea of the Z85230 driver and the cisco/ppp layer.

But I think syncppp.c is still leaving too much things for hardware driver.
Things like (de)registering net device should be IMHO in generic driver.
That way we would have just slXXX devices, not cosaXXX, hdlcXXX...

> Someone is doing FR at the moment in the same way.

Who's that?
I haven't seen single announcement, maybe overlooked...

--
Krzysztof Halasa
Network Administrator