Re: (reiserfs) Re: 20 years without semantic innovation is enough

Rik van Riel (riel@nl.linux.org)
Sat, 3 Jul 1999 10:51:00 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 30 Jun 1999, Pavel Machek wrote:

> > My point though is that the file system semantics have been static for
> > 20 years. It is time for them to change. When they change NFS will
>
> Why?
>
> brake is in the middle in all cars for 20 years. Lets move it to
> the right.

It's actually more like integrating brake and gas so you can
drive more conveniently.

Nowadays we've got compound documents and other data structures
that were quite rare 20 years ago. I don't see any reason why
we shouldn't adapt the OS to fit it's new environment better...

Rik -- Open Source: you deserve to be in control of your data.