Re: UDMA and VIA APOLLO CHIPSET

Juan Casero (casero@bellsouth.net)
Fri, 2 Jul 1999 21:16:13 -0400

On Fri, 02 Jul 1999, Dan Hollis wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Jul 1999, Juan Casero wrote:
> > Now I could set some of these manualy and I intend to try this shortly but
> > shouldn't the kernel do it by default? I compiled the kernel (2.2.10) to use
> > DMA by default when possible.
>
> You should also enable UDMA in BIOS.
>
> -Dan

I did. The message on the screen as the machine boots indicates that the
primary master and primary slave drives are LBA UDMA drives. One thing I
should mention is that whenever I try to set multicount to something other
than 0 and then run hdparm -t /dev/hdb the system locks up completely. There
is no way to switch to another virtual console and reboot. I end up having to
use the infamous reset button. Chip do you have any idea what's going on? Is
there anybody on the linux-admin list that has a similar TYAN Trinity 100AT
board and using UDMA successfully under kernel 2.2.x? If so I would like to
hear how you did it. Chip where is that "Ispci" utility that you used to
generate the host bridge info of your board? I believe I have a MVP3 AGP chip
set on this motherboard.

Thanks.