Re: [2.2.10]: Oops during insmod

Douglas Gilbert (dgilbert@interlog.com)
Sat, 26 Jun 1999 15:34:44 -0400

Jochen Heuer wrote:

> today I got the following oops while kmod was loading some scsi-modules.
> This happened while I wanted to access my scsi cdrom drive:

Couldn't really decode your oops but I'm pretty
sure you were out of memory suitable for DMA
under the 16 MB level and oopsed on a memset()
that assumed a scsi_init_malloc() would always
work. I have had several oopses loading up scsi
cdrom drives and this was the cause.

There is a "fix" for it in 2.2.10-ac1+ that
checks and returns an error. So you still won't
get your cdrom working in this situation but at
least the kernel won't oops :-)

Jaroslav Kysela has a great patch that would
really fix this. See:

http://www.alsa-project.org/~perex/page_alloc.html

Do we have to wait for 2.3/4 for this? Several
sub-systems within the kernel get this problem
in 2.2 (eg SCSI and sound).

Doug Gilbert