Re: immutable flag on ext2fs

Chris Evans (chris@ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk)
Wed, 23 Jun 1999 23:32:37 +0100 (GMT)

On Wed, 23 Jun 1999, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:

> In article <19990621211502.U28992@animx.eu.org> you wrote:
> > Question, If someone hasn't set the secure level (I don't understand this
> > yet <g>) and did make all file immutable, wouldn't debugfs get around this?
> > If someone has gotten root on the machine what's to stop them from doing
> > what they want (assuming something like ftp or some programs forgotten by
> > the admin exist)
>
> immutable device files.

This is indeed half of the most elegant solution I can find. The other
half is CAP_MKNOD (which I think POSIX says we should have anyway), so
that root can't make an identical, non-immutable device file.

HOWEVER, chattr/lsattr on device files doesn't seem to work on my system.
This is probably because some of the ext2 flags don't make sense on block
devices (append only, secure delete, etc). This is no reason to ban the
perfectly reasonable immutable flag though

Cheers
Chris