Re: analysis: securelevels vs securebits with capabilities

DAVID BALAZIC (david.balazic@uni-mb.si)
Wed, 23 Jun 1999 17:04:46 +0100 (MET)

Domas Mituzas (midom@dammit.lt) wrote :

> SUMMARY (about capabilities)
>
> It may sound non-unix'ish, but it's cool. It may be future of unix
> systems, not only mainframes =] What it needs - a little bit better
> software design (in many applications I found {if (getuid()!=0) DIE("!");}
> so they should be rewritten to check if they are capable to do their job.

IMHO : they should just do what they want and check for errors like
EPERM .

No need for trying to be "smart" and simulate the result that the kernel
will give you anyway ( and it will be correct too :-)

--
David Balazic , student
E-mail   : 1stein@writeme.com     |     living in  sLOVEnija