Re: (reiserfs) Re: I discussed reading directories as files with jra, Stallman, and

leitner@convergence.de
23 Jun 1999 13:14:00 -0000

In local.linux-kernel, you wrote:
> Yes, good question. I have answers. :-)

Great, and thanks for providing them!

> The answer involves something a bit like Hurd translators. Microsoft
> calls them "reparse points". It also involves a shared library, called
> a DLL in the Windows environment.
[lost of explanation snipped]

How does that differ from OS-provided marshalling?
Why would the OS do this?
Do me this looks like something the CORBA persistance service should do
for you, not the OS.

I can see a whole slew of security problems having kernel drivers do
user-space conversions.

Felix