Re: (reiserfs) Re: I discussed reading directories as files with

Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Tue, 22 Jun 1999 02:09:11 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 21 Jun 1999, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:

> Pavel Machek writes:
> > [somebody, likely Hans Reiser]
>
> >> Jeremy wants in the FS what he can get with Microsoft streams and
> >> Macintosh forks. That is, he wants to be able to name an object, and
> >> read it, and get something, and he wants to be able to add something
> >> that goes into that object, and stays with it when the object gets moved.
> >> He wants this because he is a Samba author, and it will make his life a
> >> lot easier to have it when Windows 2000 comes out.
> >
> > Oops. Should not he do it himself? This will make samba non-portable
> > and what is worse samba will not run on ext2.
>
> There are several answers to that...
>
> Samba remains portable, minus Windows 2000 emulation.
> It is easy to enhance ext2 in the same way.
> If ext2 and BSD don't evolve, they die. Problem?

Or NT will eventually die. Much more desirable outcome, IMO. It's
definitely inferior design. Remember, every self-appointed UNIX-killer
ate flaming death and UNIX is alive and well. Where is VMS? Where is
OS/2? Where is (spit) MacOS? Exactly. They boast. They suck. They die.
It is that simple. NT will follow them, just give it some time. New
"UNIX-killer" will appear, only to follow the previous ones. Who cares?