Re: UUIDs (and devfs and major/minor numbers)

DAVID BALAZIC (david.balazic@uni-mb.si)
Mon, 21 Jun 1999 16:59:11 +0100 (MET)

Theodore Y. Ts'o (tytso@mit.edu) wrote on Fri, 18 Jun 1999 :

> I do agree with you having having a unique string-based,
> self-descriptive device ID is a good thing, but instead of using that ID
> *instead* of the major/minor devices, why not have the kernel export a
> mapping table between the string ID and the major/minor devices to the
> user mode daemon, and then letting the user mode deamon crate the
> appropriate device files if necessary? This solves the NFS backwards
> compatibility problem, for example.

What NFS backwards compatibility problem ?

The only dev<->NFS problem that I know is, that NFS would have
problems with 16:16 and/or 32:32 major:minor numbers. And that is
not related to devfs ( well it is , but is to static /dev the same way )

--
David Balazic , student
E-mail   : 1stein@writeme.com     |     living in  sLOVEnija