Re: Journaling filesystem in the kernel

Michael B. Trausch (mtrausch@wcnet.org)
Sun, 20 Jun 1999 05:46:55 -0400 (EDT)

On 21 Jun 1999, Andi Kleen wrote:

> You are aware that a journaling file system makes no attempt at that?

Hm. I was under the impression that this was the purpose of the
jounalling filesystem: *continually* save information about the current
state of the system in general. When something happens, it can easily
come up, with no loss of data, etc. Am I misguided?

Oh, well, I fixed the problem temporarily. I changed computers -- I'm
running on a P133 for now, which is working great - and hey, I can run X!
Hehehe...

The problem, I think, was either the CPU or the motherboard in the other
machine: When I woke up after about an hour's worth of sleep, I decided
to fire up DOSEmu and play Final Fantasy on NESticle, the world's best NES
emulator, IMHO. I did this for about *TWO MINUTES*, and my VGA screen
went to hell, and the system did a cold boot. Then I got the most
wonderful thing in the world:

System Configuration (C

Was all that printed of the startup message. It didn't even print up the
CPU info, port information or *anything*. Didn't read the boot sector of
*any* device, either.

So I pressed reset. The system failed to init, and all I got was a very
sick sounding beep sequence. It wasn't even a solid "beep," it was what
you'd hear if you had it beeping, but put a very high-speed fan in front
of it, with the pattern beep 2 seconds, silence 4. It did this until I
powered down the system one minute later.

I booted it up 20 minutes later and it was fine. Hm.

No longer is it my Linux box; my parents can use it as their Windows
computer... I traded them computers for the time being, until I can get my
own P133 or similar machine to run on.

Thank God that Linux doesn't depend on your exact system configuration
when you install it; I just took my hard drive and put it in the P133 from
the "5x86" machine and now I'm up and running no problem! :-)

Michael B. Trausch
President of Linux Operations, ADK Computers http://adk.hypermart.net/
PGP Public Key is available at hkp://keys.pgp.com/mtrausch@wcnet.org, or at:
http://wcnet.org/~mtrausch/pubkey.txt, or finger://mtrausch@wcnet.org
ADK Computers, Walbridge Office E-Mail: mtrausch@wcnet.org

Customer: I'm running Windows '98 Tech: Yes. Customer: My computer isn't
working now. Tech: Yes, you said that.