Re: UUIDs (and devfs and major/minor numbers)

Daniel Taylor (dante@plethora.net)
Fri, 18 Jun 1999 15:30:09 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 18 Jun 1999, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> Paul Jakma wrote:
> >
> > Now what do you about dynamic devices handled by the same driver: eg
> > hot-plug buses like usb, firewire?? Do you propose that the complete
> > driver module should have to be loaded/unloaded every time the user
> > (un)plugs a device onto/off the bus?
>
> Absolutely. PCMCIA has done that for years.
>
> > If that's how you want to do things, then i can see why you think
> > dynamic devices are bad, or at the very least ugly.
>
> "dynamic devices" means something different in the Linux universe than
> "hotpluggable devices." "dynamic devices" are those whose device
> numbers move around.

Oh, like sd*? I install a new SCSI disk and the rest move?
That is a bug, yes BUG, with the system you are defending.
Naming consistency is one of the arguments FOR devfs.

Daniel Taylor