Re: 2.3.7-pre5 file corruption

George Bonser (grep@shorelink.com)
Fri, 18 Jun 1999 12:07:50 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 18 Jun 1999, Mike Galbraith wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I gave 2.3.7-pre5 a (cautious) run today, and saw some file corruption.
> For example, every time klogd starts at boot, I see corruption like that
> in the extracted log data below. I have seen bits of C source and ascii
> text in this spot. Mostly, logging works properly. If klogd hasn't done
> anything in a (short) while, the next message logged will begin with data
> from some unknown source. I saw similar corruption in a mailbox after
> accidentally booting (oops) the wrong kernel and calling fetchmail before
> realizing I had turned it loose on a live fs. Fsck found nothing wrong.

In my testing of pre-6 I also noticed the same. Got a big dump of binary
data right in the middle of an oops report. I could not tell where it is
coming from, there were certainly a lot of zeros in it ( ^@ ) but it was
probably a few hundred bytes. The file itself looks ok, just looks like a
pile of raw binary data got shoved into it.