knfsd (was: Why khttpd is a bad idea)

Stefan Monnier (monnier+lists/linux/kernel/news/@tequila.cs.yale.edu)
18 Jun 1999 12:01:54 -0400

> Not that I completely disagree with you, but I'm just
> curious if you think the same way about knfsd...

Obviously, I (for one) do. I can see the need for kernel support
for NFS, but it should be limited to semantics issue (fhopen or
inodeopen seems necessary at least, maybe a few others).
unfs wasn't all that much slower than knfs and the few points where it
was it was due to the massive copying that sendfile and the new page cache
are supposed to reduce/eliminate.
The other problem was lack of threadedness, but this shouldn't be unsolvable
either.

Stefan