Re: functions from 2.0 replaced by?

Sam Roberts (sam@cogent.ca)
Fri, 28 May 1999 19:32:01 -0400

Richard Gooch wrote:

> And this page is mentioned in the kernel-list FAQ, which is advertised
> in each and every message:

Ahh, but not everyone who is writing a device driver is on linux-kernel,
with its amazing bandwidth requirements.

I think you'll find that both the linux-kernel FAQ, and you're excellent
summary, are not linked in any obvious way from such sites
as www.kernel.org. Also not linked, that I found, from the linux
document
project (searching for kernel changes certainly doesn't find it). Lots
of info about what you have to install to upgrade, but not for device
driver writers.

Starting here, there's a lot of books to look through, and even the
kernel
documentatin, such as there is, doesn't list the linux-kernel faq, or
tux.org, as a useful web or ftp site:
http://metalab.unc.edu/mdw/LDP/tlk/tlk.html

Takes a long time to scan through this stuff.

Something of a catch-22, in my opinion, if you're interested enough in
development you're on the list, and you've read the faq, otherwise
its hard to find.

Sam