Re: Mouse and keyboard drivers in the Linux Kernel?

Bradley M Keryan (keryan@andrew.cmu.edu)
Wed, 19 May 1999 21:57:18 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 18 May 1999, Kendall Bennett wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> We are getting close to finishing the port of our SciTech Multi-
> platform Graphics Library to Linux (free Open Source under our
> modified mozilla PL). One thing has been bothering me for some time
> is that Linux does not appear to have a *full* mouse driver built
> into the kernel. There is the /dev/mouse device you can use to
> communicate with the currently configured mouse, however this device
> simply passes back the raw mouse protocol data and we need to know
> about *all* the different types of mice that can be attached, and to
> somehow figure out what one is actually connected.

[rest deleted]

Agreed, the current setup is messy (users don't care if their mouse is a
/dev/psaux, /dev/inportbm, etc., and they don't always want to do their
keycode translation in userspace).

Vojtech Pavlik has been working on a generic input device framework that
deals with many of your issues.

The patches are at ftp://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/pub/local/vojtech/input/

Brad