Re: ext2 question

Manfred Spraul (manfreds@colorfullife.com)
Tue, 18 May 1999 23:45:48 +0200

Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> Right now I think a journaled fs can blame a logging fs in global
> performances (I am not talking about write performances while the log is
> not wrapping around).

AFAIK, NTFS implements journaling with a logging fs:
they implemented 2 filesystems: the actual NTFS, and a logging fs
(called LFS) which is stored in a fixed size file on the volume.
I guess that the LFS is only written (and read during fsck).

The wraparound is a huge problem: you might recall the one of the tweaks
which Mindcraft did on NT was:
'set the size of the log to a incredibly large number' (65 MB).
(the default should be somewhere around 4 MB, but the system gets
nearly stopped if the log overflows)

--
	Manfred