Re: Suggestion for modules..

Mike A. Harris (mharris@ican.net)
Sun, 16 May 1999 13:04:41 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 15 May 1999, James Michael Keller wrote:

>When an item is selected for an inline compile - if it has compile time options
>they can be set. Such as the soundblaster module. Atleast in menuconfig when
>you select it, you get a drop down under it with the compile time options, and
>they can be set.
>
>My suggestion is to have that same drop down if the item is a module. In this
>case it would be writing the module options to /etc/conf.modules
>
>Same thing for ethernet cards that you can set paramiters for.

What happens then when the kernel that you are compiling is not
going to be run on the machine it is compiled on? Then you end
up with a machine that just compiled a new kernel and won't work
right next time you reboot.

>All in all it would seem a better way to do things then having
>to delv trough the kernel module docs each time and find the
>options for that module, pop open another xterm or toggle VTs,
>and edit conf.modules by hand.

What is needed is better userland configuration tools, not a
modified kernel build system that mucks with userland config
files. Try using linuxconf, etc... If your module options are
set in conf.modules, and you recompile a kernel, even of a newer
version, rarely if ever do the module parameters change.

>With perhaps an toggle entry for this behavior in the kernel
>modules sub menu.
>
>( yes, I'm expecting a little old lady to pipe up with "where's the patch?" )

Don't hold your breath. This is a userland configuration issue.
What is needed is a tool that autoconfigures your system config
files ala PnP, and other such automatic configuration systems.
That and/or an easy to use configuration program which lets you
manually specify things and/or autoconfigs some things for you.

You have to keep in mind all of the various ways that the kernel
source code is used, and not just the case for the end user.

I do all compilation of everything under the sun on my main Linux
machine. I have 3 linux machines. I compile the kernels for ALL
of them on this one machine. Think about your system now, and
how it would destroy my K6-200's configuration when I compile a
kernel for my 486 which has entirely different hardware...

Just wait 6 months or so. Every linux distribution major release
gets easier and easier to use/configure by far. Within 6 months
or so, I believe most issues like you're having will be dealt
with by far and large at installation time, and via some
autoconfiguration utils, and advanced system admin tools.

TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris                   Linux advocate      GNU advocate
Computer Consultant                          Open Source advocate

Tea, Earl Grey, Hot...