Re: Plan-9 is definitely _NOT_ a failure (Re: Ken Thompson interview

John Fulmer (jfulmer@appin.org)
Fri, 7 May 1999 17:54:21 -0500 (CDT)

Dammit, I wish people would actually quote my remarks in a thread (not
you, David).

My reply in THIS thread was that Plan 9 was never a mainstream commercial
sucess, and commending on Ken Thompson's use of the phrase "[Linux] will
probably not be very suscessful".

I remember a lot of buzz in the mid 90's that Plan 9 was designed to be
the next "Unix killer", and then the project got pulled. If you go through
Bell Labs web pages on Plan 9, there is a comment that there is no on at
Bell working on it, instead most members got pulled to Inferno, or other
projects.

AND I stated that my impression was that technically, Plan 9 was a very
good and elegant system. It just didn't go anywhere.

jf