Re: [OT] util-linux-2.9p

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@e-mind.com)
Fri, 7 May 1999 21:09:15 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 7 May 1999 Andries.Brouwer@cwi.nl wrote:

>The rest of Andrea's changes are to print out that he is the maintainer
>of lp.c. Somewhat surprising, but if Michael Johnson has no objections

Really the main changes are in the manpage.

The real problem right now is that the same ioctl number is been used for
the trustirq feature in 2.1.x and for the strict feature in 2.0.36. I
wasn't aware of the changes in lp.c done in the late 2.0.x.

>and Andrea says he really wants, I'll take tunelp out of util-linux.

I think you should take my version of tunelp in util-linux or Michael
should merge my changes in his tree and then you should merge his new
tree.

For the tunelp maintainer issue, the problem is that tunelp was obsolete.
On linux-parport we was thinking to update it since 2.2.0 was near. I
asked on linux-kernel if somebody would send me the sources of tunelp.
Then a guy sent me the uuencoded tarball. So I updated tunelp and then I
put the new tunelp here -> ftp://e-mind.com/pub/andrea/tunelp/. Tim
correct me if I remember wrong. Ah and then I also sent to Alan (when
Linus was in holiday) the update of my tunelp in the Changes file.

Then Michael claimed to be the maintainer. I am _far_ from want to be the
maintainer if _he_ was the maintainer.

The reason I am been the guy who updated tunelp (and I did that mainly for
the end user, not for mine, I had just the manpage updated in my mind ;)
is been because I known all 2.2.x lp details (I researched, learn
and developed most of them).

If he want to return to be the maintainer of tunelp I would be very happy.
He can merge my code at any time in his tree and go ahead. Otherwise let
me know.

Comments?

Andrea Arcangeli