Re: 2.2.6 & 2.2.7 "out of memory" problem

Kurt Garloff (garloff@suse.de)
Fri, 7 May 1999 20:33:19 +0200

--ryJZkp9/svQ58syV

On Fri, May 07, 1999 at 09:36:45AM +0200, Lenart Gabor wrote:
> Hmmm. Thanx for the info but I recognized that growing number of network
> buffer allocations results more locked memory. At my machine with 64M ram
> there is often 50M memory used and I cannot starting after this anything
> without a lot of swap area being used. It seems kernel (?) locks a large
> amount of memory and I don't know why. Even with killing all tasks except
> init can't help ...

People are always confused by Linux telling them to have no free mem. It's
true. Free mem would be a waste! Using it for caching I/O (buffer resp. page
cache) is much better.

On the other hand, it should not start to swap then, so you might have
stumbled across a real problem. What does free report?

--=20
Kurt Garloff <garloff@suse.de> SuSE GmbH, N=FCrnberg, FRG
Linux kernel development; SCSI driver: DC390 (tmscsim/AM53C974)

--ryJZkp9/svQ58syV

--ryJZkp9/svQ58syV--