Re: 2.2.x fails to boot on SPARC 2 (scsi problems)

Max (maxk@chinook.stanford.edu)
Fri, 7 May 1999 11:19:12 -0700

* davem@redhat.com <davem@redhat.com> [05/05/99 18:45] wrote:
> Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 13:05:27 -0700
> From: Max <maxk@chinook.stanford.edu>
>
> esp0: Warning, live target 0 not responding to selection
>
> What compiler are you using to compile the kernel? I've seen several
> reports of this, and it never happens on my machines even though I
> have identical machine configurations in several cases.

I wasn't actually the one that compiled the kernel (my SPARC 2 has so
little hard drive space that there's no room to install gcc with all
the trimmings), but I believe that Debian substitutes gcc with egcs.
On my i686 box, "gcc --version" reports egcs-2.91.66. I would be very
surprised to hear that compiler choice matters. I've also been told
by a couple people that they were able to solve this problem by either
getting a new drive or playing around with the cables and
termination. Something somewhere in the new esp.c is probing
something that esp.c under 2.0.x didn't.

Max

--
The hopeful depend on a world without end
Whatever the hopeless may say