Re: Ken Thompson interview in IEEE Computer magazine

Yoink! (xombi@accessus.net)
Fri, 7 May 1999 01:40:58 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 6 May 1999, Alan Cox wrote:

> > boxes, maybe (but unlikely) on DEC Alpha boxes. In roughly that order.
>
> DEC Alpha boxes running VMS are very very common in critical systems. The
> clustering and the superb batch performance matter a lot.

Correct. Not to go into too much detail ( :p ) but VMS is an integeral part of
the United State's electronic tax payment system.

So is NCR actually... But no aix, linux or Sun that I know of. Very little
NT (web servers and workstations). The VAX's, btw, are there to stay.

\ \/ / _ |~\ _ In God We Trust. All Others Pay Cash.
> < / \|\ /|+-< | | "The world is a comedy to those that think,
/ /\ \\_/| \/ ||__)|_| a tragedy to those who feel." - Horace Walpole