Re: Ken Thompson interview in IEEE Computer magazine (fwd)

Ian D Romanick (idr@cs.pdx.edu)
Thu, 6 May 1999 13:33:54 -0700 (PDT)

> On Thu, 6 May 1999, Ian D Romanick wrote:
>
> > Even more important in a cluster is the ability to do a rolling upgrade.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > Shut one system down while the other one stays up. Upgrade the OS on the
> > system that you shutdown and reboot. Do the same thing on the other system.
> > It's (in theory) the no-downtime OS upgrade. Can Linux or Windows do that?
> > I know that Solaris, Digital UNIX, and Sequent PTX can.
>

> why would one OS be better than any other in something like this? I don't
> see any reason linux couldnt do something like this.
>
> (please erase my ignorance)

There's no shared storage style clustering in linux, so it's a moot point.
As soon as we can hook up the same array of SCSI disks to three different
linux boxes and have them all access the same ext2 filesystems on the shared
disks, then it will become a huge issue.

The reason is that you don't want to have to shutdown all of the machines to
upgrade them. It's like if you update NFS. You have to do it in a way such
that old clients can still talk to the new server and vice versa. When you
have a tightly coupled cluster that essentally shares all of the filesystem
state (and other data too) among all the systems, this becomes every more
difficult.

--
"But art is the process of evoking pity and terror.     Art.  Masturbation.
 What modern artists do is pseudo-intellectual               Whatever.