Re: Oops assist... [Solution + Patch]

Manfred Spraul (manfreds@colorfullife.com)
Fri, 07 May 1999 17:24:12 +0200

Philip Gladstone wrote:
> I'll bet that having 220 bytes of Oops is a lot better
> than nothing - note that you only want to save the
> binary data, not the text.

I thought about extending the current Oops report:
* include the complete stack dump, including current
(i.e. 8 kB on i386, 16 kB otherwise)
---> ability to reconstruct all local variables, in
the complete call chain.
ability to find buffer overruns on stack etc.
* test all registers if they point to valid memory,
and dump a few hundert bytes if the memory
is valid.
--> ability to analyze the structure where the bad
pointer came from.

The overall dump would be 10-40 kB binary data.
I know that this would be overkill for most oops'es,
but disk space is cheap, and ksymoops could throw
away most data unless e.g '--realy-verbose' is set.

Note: I usually use a kernel debugger for finding
bugs during development. If I analyze an oops than
the oops is from a linux end user - the fewer times
I must ask for more details the better.

Regards,
Manfred