Re: [OT] SB Live! drivers released for Linux

Dan Hollis (goemon@sasami.anime.net)
Wed, 5 May 1999 16:02:13 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 3 May 1999, phazer wrote:
> To all those considering getting an SBLive, I'd strongly recommend
> going for a card based on the Trident 4dWave-NX chipset
> (www.hoontech.com makes and sells one). It's a really sweet chipset,
> and Trident released GPL kernel drivers for it (which will ship with
> the next version of the Advanced Linux Sound Architecture). It has
> 4-speaker support, good 3d positional audio, all operations are done
> internally in 24 bit/48khz, S/PDIF digital output, etc.

S/PDIF and MPU are not usable until Trident updates the documentation.
Description of registers MPUR0-MPUR3 (MPU) and I2SR (probably S/PDIF) are
missing.

It does do streaming audio well enough, and has reasonably clean analogue
output. The ALSA drivers work well with my Hoontech 4DWave-NX.

It is unknown at this time whether the S/PDIF is capable of 1:1 output.

-Dan