Re: Invalid inode->i_sb in clear_inode()? (was Re: Kernel Oops,

Michael B. Trausch (mtrausch@wcnet.org)
Wed, 5 May 1999 14:37:57 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 5 May 1999, Steve Dodd wrote:

SD>Making a wild stab in the dark, I'd say that inode->i_sb points somewhere
SD>silly for this inode. I don't know why that should happen. This is probably
SD>a job for Mr. Viro, but I'll keep looking up the stack trace in case anything
SD>obvious leaps out at me.

I know vaguely what you're talking about, but since I know almost nothing
about programming, I'll trust that you know what you're talking about.
One thing that I can do is mail the binary kernel image and its friends
the modules if that would help any -- i know that every built kernel is
different in some little way.

SD>Nothing in your system is marginal is it, as far as you know? Overheating
SD>CPU, bad memory or whatever /might/ conceivably be causing this (via random
SD>memory hosing), but I've seen this exact report before..

Nope. I've got the box in a room that's 65 degrees Fahrenheit, and the
box is always open, because when the box was closed, I always had
overheating problems. It's also got an overheat sensor (that's how I knew
of the problems ;)

SD>You did say in your mail that you haven't been smoking any weird patches,
SD>right? :)

Right. I'm sticking to the vanilla kernel sources. The only patches that
I use are the ones from one release to the next... I've been upgrading the
kernel using the patches since 2.2.0.

Usually, I upgrade within 48 hours of the kernel release. The thing is
that my system is SO slow (486 dx/4) that it takes between two and three
hours to build a kernel. I learned that the first time I built one. So,
I do everything using cron, basically.

BTW... should I reboot my system, or is it stable? It seems like it's
stable to me... only thing is that syslog is printing everything to the
console unless tail -f /var/log/messages is run, but that's fine by me.

Michael B. Trausch
President of Linux Operations, ADK Computers
ADK Computers, Walbridge Office Phone: 419.838.8104
5375 Keller Road Main Office: 419.882.7435
Walbridge, OH 43465 E-Mail: mtrausch@wcnet.org
Wednesday, May 05, 1999
Marriage is one of the chief causes of divorce.