Re: Oops assist...

Manfred Spraul (manfreds@colorfullife.com)
Thu, 06 May 1999 20:03:07 +0200

Horst von Brand wrote:
> I don't trust the kernel enough to fiddle around with disks when it has
> just crashed...

I agree, but what do you want to do?

* currently, the kernel kills the current thread, and continues,
i.e. it trust everyone, even user mode applications, the filesystem,
the block device system.

* if you use the swapfile, perhaps after killing all other entries
in the io request queue, then you only rely on the block device system.
This is the only solution (except paper & pencil) for stand-alone
computer.

* sending Oops over the network.
This would be nearly ideal, but which user has a second computer
standing
around as a receiver for the Oops?

any other ideas (store the oops with a MAGIC key at 4 MB, force a
warm-boot, and hope that the BIOS won't touch that memory; or
implement our own internal reboot, and restart LILO)?

Manfred