Re: ext2 warning in Linux 2.2.7

Steve Dodd (dirk@loth.demon.co.uk)
Wed, 5 May 1999 18:30:35 +0100

On Wed, May 05, 1999 at 12:41:27PM -0400, Alexander Viro wrote:

> Aha. Steve, I didn't really look into NTFS driver's guts

Very wise :)

> (mostly since it's R/O and thus all, erm, fun with rename()/unlink()/
> rmdir() went without touching it).

Mmmm. There _is_ actually experimental write code in there, but I don't think
we support rename(), unlink() or rmdir() yet, but it might happen soon. It's
not superficially difficult, and I've just added some code which will make it
easier.

Code you explain what the issues are with rename() and friends? That way
there's half a chance I might get it right first time!

> IIRC it's an FFS-derivative with B-trees used
> wherever possible. What are you using for inumbers?

I don't know about FFS but I doubt it. All the fs metadata is actually stored
in files, which is neat in a twisted way. There's a Master File Table (=MFT),
which is a sequence of FILE records; the inumber is simply the index of the
FILE record. The MFT is actually stored in the $DATA stream of file in the
root directory called $MFT. I guess this makes access a bit slower, but it
means no special logic is required for extending it, and things like
filesystem defragmenters don't need to have (much) special handling for it.

Does that make sense? :)

--
Never count your chickens before they rip your lips off