Re: Oops assist...

Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Wed, 05 May 1999 13:24:27 +1000

On Tue, 04 May 1999 21:48:40 +0100,
David Woodhouse <David.Woodhouse@mvhi.com> wrote:
>alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk said:
>> Even more ideal would be to dump the oops to somewhere non volatile
>> over a reboot. I'm not sure there are good candidates for this on a
>> PC.
>You ought to be able to manage a UDP syslog message on the way down.

Not really. Anything that requires an interrupt and/or bottom half is
potentially hosed when the machine is dying. The only guaranteed way I
know of capturing an oops in a total machine crash is via a serial
console. The serial console I/O runs in polled mode and any kernel
state, no need to worry about interrupts or bh scheduling.

OTOH, it would be nice to save some data in memory and pick it up on
reboot. Does anybody know a guaranteed way of saving data in memory
across a soft reboot? People have looked at this in the past but
AFAIK, nobody succeeded.