Re: fdisk problems with 2.2.x ?

Steve Dodd (dirk@loth.demon.co.uk)
Tue, 4 May 1999 21:06:06 +0100

On Tue, May 04, 1999 at 01:35:42PM +0200, Dag Wieers wrote:

> On Tue, 4 May 1999, M.Brands wrote:

> > > Calling ioctl() to re-read partition table.
> > > Syncing disks.
> > > Re-read table failed with error 16: Device or resource busy.
> > > Reboot your system to ensure the partition table is updated.

> this only happens with extended (logical) partitions. if you only make
> changes to primary partitions there is no problem. i don't know what's
> causing it ;(

Err, I get this if I change anything in the partition table of a drive which
has one or more mounted partitions. Granted, I'm using an ancient fdisk.
Someone (Andre?) was muttering a while back about reducing the granularity
so if you didn't affect the mounted partitions, you didn't have to reboot.
I don't recall the outcome, tho'.

--
%DCL-MEM-BAD, bad memory
VMS-F-PDGERS, pudding between the ears