Re: [RFC] Unifying kernel initialization

Andi Kleen (ak@muc.de)
Tue, 4 May 1999 20:42:18 +0200

In muc.lists.linux-kernel, you wrote:
>This all seems terribly clumsy. I was thinking
>that a better way to do it would be to have a
>macro REGISTER_INIT_FUNC(function,priority),
>which would add the nessesary info to the
>object file. Then, the kernel would need only
>to loop over this list and all the kernel would
>be initialized in order.

I 100% agree. It could be easily implemented using a special
ELF section. Afaik there are already plans to do it in 2.3.

BTW, the ELF section trick could be used for sysctls too,
like FreeBSD does. This would remove another ugly initialization
call.

>Also, how about reserving a certain amount
>of memory after the loaded kernel image for
>or TLBEs.

This is not worth it I think.

-Andi