Re: pre-patch-2.2.8-series candidate, TESTERS NEEDED...

Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Tue, 4 May 1999 11:54:27 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 4 May 1999, Andre M. Hedrick wrote:

> Andries B. discovered that there is a jumper that allows one to select
> between 15/16 hardwired head reporting. They are shipped with the jumper
> selected to 15 and you loose about 5% capacity.

Worse yet, some laptops are shipped with 15-heads setting and
backup/re{format|partition}/restore is not too pleasant option.

> Since the geometry rules for disk translations larger than 8.4GB do not
> allow for 15 heads, he and I are discussing various options to account for
> the error that IBM did.

IIRC one the laptop where I've seen that lossage BIOS geometry was
munged to ???*240*63.

> The request is reasonable to add 15/16 combination, but the rule breaking
> leaves us wondering some. Since this is a geometry issue and Andries is
> primarily responsible for that part of the kernel, I will defer to his
> judgement.

> If you have a list of drive models and names they could be useful for
> determining the action needed to address the problem.

Hmm... Laptop in question wasn't mine, so I'll just Cc the owner. Oleg,
could you give the model name of that sucker/give additional details?

Linux managed to boot with the unpatched ide-disk.c and mounted everything
OK, but fdisk was very unhappy until I did s/15/16/ in the function in
question. After that geometry was recoginzed and fdisk returned into sane
state.

So there... I don't have additional datapoints. I think that reasonable
course of actions would be to recognize 240 heads as valid munge and check
for this 0x3fff*15*63 bogosity, maybe informing happy owner about the
situation. But then I'm VFS/filesystems hacker, and underlying stuff is
*not* an area I'm comfortable with ;-)
Cheers,
Al