Re: RedHat 5.2 Oops

Nicholas Tufar (nt@yargitay.gov.tr)
Tue, 4 May 1999 18:13:44 +0300 (EEST)

On Tue, 4 May 1999, Riley Williams wrote:

> Hi there.
>
> I have one machine which Oops's when I try to install RedHat 5.2 from
> the CD. It gets as far as the "Welcome to RedHat" screen (the one with
> the single OK button on it), and as soon as one presses the said OK
> button, it displays an Oops over the screen...

Faulty memory. The kernel distributed on installation floppies is pretty
stable. The only reason for a oops is a hardware fault. I had the same
problem but the oops used to appear when the intalling of package starts.

Try to plug the memory into another machine and run something big, say,
recompile the kernel.

Nicholas