Re: Ken Thompson interview in IEEE Computer magazine (fwd)

Nat Lanza (magus@cs.cmu.edu)
04 May 1999 11:17:09 -0400

John Hayward-Warburton <linux@billabong.demon.co.uk> writes:

> I absolutely agree. Let's treat this man with a huge amount of
> respect. Perhaps he's read old code? Seen badly set-up systems? Not
> got much first-hand experience of the Linux kernel? Maybe his
> interview was badly sub-edited by the publisher (it occasionally
> happens)?

I'm pretty amazed at the responses to this thread. Can you folks
really not take criticism any better than this? Someone who thinks
Linux code is uneven and shoddy in places must obviously be sad,
bitter, and misinformed?

Good god, have you LOOKED at some of the code in the kernel? Yes,
there's some very nice code, but there's also some crap. I don't
really see how you can deny that. After all, if it's as wondrous and
perfect as you claim, then why is there still kernel development?

Do you deny that the SCSI code needs work? Do you deny that there are
problems with the NFS client? Do you deny that the memory allocator
could be improved? Do you deny that VFS locking could be improved?

Linux is a fine system, but let's not kid ourselves. Sticking your
head in the sand and denying any criticism is no way to make
progress. Someone respected and knowledgeable in the computing world
criticizes Linux, and what do people do? They attack him, not his
ideas. They claim he's sad and bitter, that he must be misinformed,
that he can't know what he's talking about.

That kind of response is pathetic. Resorting to personal attacks and
completely dodging the actual issue being discussed puts you on the
same level as all the "MS FUD" people here whine about all the time.

If you really think Linux is better, then surely you can show reasons
instead of having to resort to ad hominem attacks?

--nat

--
nat lanza --------------------- research programmer, parallel data lab, cmu scs
magus@cs.cmu.edu -------------------------------- http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~magus/