Re: Ken Thompson interview in IEEE Computer magazine (fwd)

Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Tue, 4 May 1999 05:19:28 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 4 May 1999 alex.buell@tahallah.demon.co.uk wrote:

> On Tue, 4 May 1999, Rahul Siddharthan wrote:
>
> > Ken Thompson is interviewed in this month's _IEEE Computer_ magazine
> > on UNIX and developments. At one point during the interview, Computer
> > asks him what he thinks of Linux. Here's his response (any typos are
> > mine, and I show italics via <em> and </em>):
>
> Oh haha... I can't believe this guy. Hahaha what a joke this guy is.

Hrrrmp... You know, this guy is the author of UNIX. No kidding. I disagree
with him (as if he cared), but at least some respect is in order here.
Basic design of the system + many years of development are worth
something. Linux is written from scratch, but we owe *lot* to Ken and
Dennis. Not to mention anything else, without their work most likely
history would look, well, ugly - Vomit Making System everywhere. And you
can look at the state of FreeVMS project to evaluate the odds of getting
any free system in that case (inherent ugliness of VMS misdesign aside).

It's mostly unwarranted, pretty bitter and sad, but if there is somebody
who deserves our respect at all then Ken *is* such man. No matter how
strongly we disagree his opinion. We definitely owe him that much.