Re: Kenwood/Hi-Val True-X 40x CDROM drive.

M.Brands (shrike@il.fontys.nl)
Tue, 4 May 1999 09:15:10 +0200

On Sat, May 01, 1999 at 06:09:36AM -0400, Mike A. Harris allegedly wrote:

<SNIP>

> I've tested this drive in Win95 and it gets roughly 6Mb per
> second as quoted above.
>
> In linux however, I get:
>
> 1 root@red:~# hdparm -t /dev/hdd
>
> /dev/hdd:
> Timing buffered disk reads: 32 MB in 20.05 seconds = 1.60 MB/sec
>

> Which is closer to 10x than it is to 40x. Does Linux require
> some special support to get this drive to push 6Mb/s?

The results of hdparm are often a bit misleading. I've got two IDE disks
hooked up in a RAID0 (striping) configuration. hdparm reports 14 mb/sec
for the separate disks, but 2.6 mb/sec for the RAID array. When I test
it by writing and reading a few 1 gb datafiles, the speed is about 21
mb/sec. Quite a difference, 2.6 or 21 mb/sec...

Btw. when I tested these disks (Maxtor 8.4 DiamondMax) seperately with
some large files, they had an avarage transferrate of about 11 mb/sec,
not 14 mb/sec.

Mathijs