Re: Simultaneous use of cdrom.o and ide-scsi.o with 2.0?

Mike A. Harris (mharris@ican.net)
Mon, 3 May 1999 23:18:45 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 1 May 1999, Mark Lord wrote:

>> Is it possible for me to use the ide-scsi driver on my cdwriter
>> drive, while using the standard ATAPI cdrom driver on another
>> CDROM drive?
>>
>> I'm using the 2.0.36 kernel. I know that it can be done in
>> 2.2.x, but I'm wondering what trickery if any can be done to
>> 2.0.x to get it to work.
>
>Configure *both* ide-scsi and ide-cdrom support into the kernel,
>and use a boot parameter to designate which drive(s) are for ide-scsi.
>
>In my system, I have /dev/hdb (IDE cdrom) and /dev/hdd (IDE CD-RW),
>so I use "hdd=ide-scsi" in my lilo.conf "append" line.

Thanks Mark. Is there also a way to do it with both as modules,
say something like:

[conf.modules]
options -k cdrom hdc=/dev/hdd
options -k ide-scsi=/dev/hdc

??

If not, I can build them in, but I'd rather use modules if
possible, since the CDROM is only used occasionally, and the
ide-scsi only needed for burns.

Thanks again.

--
Mike A. Harris                   Linux advocate      GNU advocate
Computer Consultant                          Open Source advocate

The DVORAK keyboard layout RULES! I memorized it in 45 minutes and I don't think I'm ever going back to QWERTY!