Re: Linux 2.2.4/SMP/IO-APIC cannot reboot machine : workaround found

Egil Kvaleberg (egil@kvaleberg.no)
Mon, 3 May 1999 09:16:43 GMT

On 31 Mar 1999, Fabien Collin wrote:

> Recently, I saw several messages on this list from users
> reporting they couldn't reboot their SMP machines with kernel 2.2.X.
>
> Someone proposed a patch (which didn't work), others recommended
> to upgrade the BIOS.
>
> I have the same problem using a Tyan Thunder 100 with the 440GX
> chipset using BIOS 1.16a.

I have s Supermicro P6DLS with 440LX chipset, and dual Celerons that
exhibits exactly the same problem.

> To solve the problem, I have added the following line in
> lilo.conf : append="reboot=bios"

> Could other people tell me if this really solves this reboot
> problem on other motherboards ?

Works here too.

Would it be possible to default to bios restart if the port controlled reset
doesn't work, instead of triple-faulting like now?

Egil

--
Email: egil@kvaleberg.no  Voice: +47 22523641, 92022780 Fax: +47 22525899
Mail:  Egil Kvaleberg, Husebybakken 14A, 0379 Oslo, Norway