Re: Sound problems with 2.2.7 (not present in previous kernels)

Lenart Gabor (lgb@oxygene.terra.vein.hu)
Sun, 2 May 1999 13:20:22 +0200

On Sun, May 02, 1999 at 01:47:53AM -0400, Ian Peters wrote:
> open("/dev/dsp", O_WRONLY) = -1 ENOMEM (Cannot allocate memory)
> write(2, "Can\'t open /dev/dsp!\n", 21Can't open /dev/dsp!
> ) = 21
> _exit(1)

Exactly the same for me since I was that poster :)
And interactivity performance of 2.2.7 seems much weaker than 2.2.6's.

I mailed an interesting alt-sysreq-m ouput to the list as well and I can
understand there's some problem at network buffer code of 2.2.7.
I downloaded a big file and then I exit from netscape, X etc, etc,
but the sysreq combo showd me 40Mb used memory for network buffers.
And I COULD NOT free that memory amount without rebooting.

Then I switched back to 2.2.6. And no more mp3 clicking, no more cannot
allocate memory at opening /dev/dsp, and no more 40Mb network buffers.

I used the same configuration options and the same alsa driver with
both of the kernels I mentioned here. (Only one differnce : with 2.2.7
I configured it for large TCP window which was not set for me with my
2.2.6.)

--
 ---[ LGB/DC ]------------[ University Of Veszprém ]------[ Lénárt Gábor ]---
 "The truth is out there"  "We're l{ea,i}ving together" "The future is dark."