Re: [OT] Comments to WinNT Mag !!

Linux Lists (lists@cyclades.com)
Fri, 30 Apr 1999 15:58:20 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 30 Apr 1999, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Apr 1999, Linux Lists wrote:
>
> > As I don't have the technical expertise to discuss with this gentleman
> > (although I think somebody _must_), I'm forwarding this URL to the list:
> >
> > http://www.winntmag.com/Magazine/Article.cfm?ArticleID=5048
> >
> > I hope you guys can address this article's issues properly. Please contact
> > the author !!
>
> While he (Mark Russinovich) does have valid points (no OS is perfect), he
> is exagerating things alot at the expense of Linux, to make NT appear in a
> better light. He also forgets to mention lots powerful mechanisms and
> features present in the Linux kernel that give it an edge over NT, and he
> forgets to mention shortcomings of NT in the same areas. But i think his
> main mistake is that he is trying to find the NT API in Linux. No, Linux
> is Linux. I'll try to address most of his technical points briefly:
>
> 'asynchron IO'
> --------------
>
> first he claims Linux has only select(), and then he continues to bash
> select(). (without providing measurements or benchmark numbers) Then he
That was the first thing I noticed in his article. He talks a lot about
benchmarks, about how Linux "isn't there -- yet" ... but he does _not_
provide the benchmark results to back him up. However, I didn't want to
reply to him myself because I wouldn't know how to discuss more specific
issues with him (as you, mingo, have done in this reply). Thanks for
clarifying all these issues to me (and to him too ;) !!

> in private discussions with Mark i have pointed out most of these
> counter-arguments, which he unfortunately failed to answer. He also didnt
> answer my questions about NT's shortcomings in the above areas. (as
> always, seemingly powerful concepts can often open up ugly ratholes)
> Different OS, different approach. Let the numbers talk.

Ok, if you (and others) have already contacted him and showed him these
fallacies, good. However, I think there should be a _public_ place where
this clarification is available. Otherwise, misinformed people who read
this article will have the wrong idea of Linux, and they won't have any
other place that tells them otherwise.

Anyhow, thanks for your helpful reply again !!

Regards,
Ivan