Re: IDE chipset support

Andre M. Hedrick (hedrick@Astro.Dyer.Vanderbilt.Edu)
Fri, 30 Apr 1999 13:22:11 -0500 (CDT)

I have just discussed this issue with Linus yesterday.
In order to get support for the new Super Socket 7's, there was a need to
perform some exotic pre-init. This may be moved to the pci-quirk list,
but I just asked Martin M. about it late last night.

Unless I can reduce the exotic nature of the new code and mainstream it
into what is required..........2.3.X is the introduction in the very near
future. I will not specify a time scale, as I have not asked if I could
disclose that information. It is not a great secret, but I do not have
the authority to make such announcements.

I am trying to find time to restructure the code, but I have very little.
I proposed my work as a candidate for pre-patch-2.2.8-1/2/3, but I I may
have to withdrawl that request for the next pre-patch series.

Since It is first on the list for 2.3.0, and with success and stablity
proven, it will be back ported. Until then, get the patch from below.