Re: Performance Comparision

Steve Willer (willer@interlog.com)
Fri, 30 Apr 1999 08:50:17 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 30 Apr 1999, Phillip Ezolt wrote:

> While that is true for "scientific" analysis, a user who picks up BSD will
> see the performance difference, and not care whather it was a result of
> compilers, linker, etc.

That's only if all they do is compile. If you're going to use compiling
for a generalized benchmark, then you're using compiles to represent
real-world speed in other areas. And again, we're back to Alan's point.

I can tell you that personally, I don't spend that much time compiling. I
worry about interactive X speed, database speed, networking speed, and
speed running Apache. For these purposes, I certainly wouldn't trust a
compile-time test that doesn't make all variables equal except for the OS.