Re: Horrible NFS performace

Trond Myklebust (trond.myklebust@fys.uio.no)
30 Apr 1999 12:09:42 +0200

Phil Blecker <tmwg@inxservices.com> writes:

> I hope that someone can shed some light here, or give me a way to
> investigate. 3 computers, 2 are 2.2.6, 1 is 2.0.36. All ethernet. 2.2.6 has
> PCI vortex, 2.0.36 has Intel ether express 16. Lots of the following in logs:
>
> Apr 29 14:45:59 mwg kernel: nfs: server inx not responding, still trying
> Apr 29 14:45:59 mwg kernel: nfs: server inx OK
> Apr 29 14:46:19 mwg kernel: nfs: server inx not responding, still trying
> Apr 29 14:46:20 mwg kernel: nfs: task 768 can't get a request slot
> Apr 29 14:46:20 mwg kernel: nfs: task 769 can't get a request slot

This is just a sign of congestion in the RPC layer. If the server is
not able to treat the NFS requests fast enough, then a backlog of
requests builds up in the RPC layer, and as they time out, they fire
off the above messages.

I must admit, however, I'm not yet sure about all the causes of these
errors. I've been seeing some under 2.2.6, which seemed to point to a
problem with sockets: typically, a UDP socket returns -ECONNREFUSED
without having transmitted anything to the server. Perhaps somebody
with better understanding of the UDP layer has some suggestions as to
what is going on in these cases?

Cheers,
Trond