Re: 2.2.5 optimizations for web benchmarks?

Ingo Molnar (mingo@chiara.csoma.elte.hu)
Fri, 30 Apr 1999 08:50:36 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 30 Apr 1999, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:

> > across many OSes. On the other hand, Apache in particular may not
> > access enough memory to make a huge difference.
>
> Remember, this is TLB flushes, not cache flushes, we're talking about.
> *Every* memory access after a TLB flush needs to reload the TLB, even if
> it is just a read from already-cached memory. Even just spinning in
> kernel space may require TLB refills after a flush (although newer
> Pentia do let you mark certain page tables as global, so a mm replace
> won't evict those TLBs).

yes and this is a pretty important effect. Also, a TLB miss on a Xeon with
all the page table info cached takes 3 cycles (and does not cause a
pipeline stall, so the real cost can be lower than this). So the cost for
a TLB flush is not all that high as it seems at first sight.

-- mingo