Re: How to make Linux scale up WRT bandwidth and size?

Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Thu, 29 Apr 1999 23:47:09 +0400 (MSD)

In <199904291718.TAA22208@maloche.neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de> David Kastrup (dak@neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de) wrote:

> File size: the ext2 file system tops out at 2GB file size, which is
> sufficient only for very short sequences (about two minutes).
> Something like 10GB would be more appropriate. For handling of the
> sequences *after* recording at the latest, we need to put them on
> files. Partitions are not flexible enough. So probably we need to
> use a non-native file system for this, like NTFS.

No this will not help at all. 2GiB is NOT ext2 limitation. It's VFS limitation.
And only on 32bit systems (NOT on Alpha and/or UltraSparc -- you can have
1TiB file there on ext2; and you should be able even mmap such file though
I'm not sure if it tested :-)...