Re: Removable media bug

Kurt Garloff (K.Garloff@ping.de)
Thu, 29 Apr 1999 20:43:02 +0200

--jq0ap7NbKX2Kqbes

On Thu, Apr 29, 1999 at 12:36:36PM +0200, Simon Richter wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Apr 1999, BROWN Nick wrote:
>=20
> > In the original post, Giuliano said that he umounted the drive, so
> > everything the system knew about the drive should have been thrown away
> > then, surely ?
>=20
> Exactly. Just as a umount forces writing of all buffers, it must
> invalidate the buffers. I'm curious why noone noticed that earlier.

No! Why should we invalidate buffers written to disk?
Imagine every file physically written to disk (by update or whoever) would
have to be reread. This would result in half performance for some apps.

--=20
Dipl.Phys. Kurt Garloff <kurt@garloff.de> [Wuppertal, FRG]
Garloff Linux System Development [Linux-ix86,-axp, DUX]
Plasma physics, high perf. computing [Linux SCSI driver: DC390]
PGP key: see mailheader / key servers =20

--jq0ap7NbKX2Kqbes

--jq0ap7NbKX2Kqbes--